When it comes to autumn, the countryside is the place to be. Crisp walks amongst the changing colours of the landscape, followed by a pub lunch by an open fire and then on to home (or in our case a luxury lodge) to get tucked up for the evening and relax…just perfect.
South Cumbria is a beautiful area to enjoy this time of year; the Lake District has never looked more beautiful and the coastline is ever changing. Plus, there’s plenty going on to give you a real taste of country living.
Here’s a round-up of some of our favourite things to do in South Cumbria in the autumn…
- Enter the season with feelings of calm and serenity with a visit to Conishead Priory. Finish your visit to the Buddhist Temple, house and grounds with a trip to their café to warm up!
- If you’re entertaining the family this Halloween weekend then be sure to head to Holker Hall for plenty of fun for all ages, including ‘Creepy Crafts’ and the ‘Witches and Wizardry School of Excellence’.
- If you’re feeling brave, then wrap up and head out to Ford Park this Halloween where Ulverston will be lit up for the annual candlelit walk.
- Speaking of feeling brave, to the west coast of Cumbria sits one of the most haunted castles in the UK! But, Muncaster Castle isn’t just great for ghost spotting, it boasts beautiful gardens and a fantastic Hawk & Owl centre too.
- Here in Aldingham we’re just a short drive from the Lake District where you can enjoy the great outdoors in all its glory. In less than a half an hour drive you can reach the tip of Lake Windermere, it’s beautiful to walk alongside at this time of year.
- If you’re drawn to South Cumbria from your love for the great outdoors, then be sure to visit Kendal Mountain Festival where you can join thousands of outdoor enthusiasts, media industry specialists, athletes, top brands & equipment manufacturers, artists, photographers, adventurers and plenty more!
- As well as being a beautiful market town, Ulverston is renowned for hosting festivals aplenty which draw in crowds from far and wide. The Dickensian Festival is one of the most popular and takes place in November, seeing the streets of Ulverston transported back in time.
- It’s the perfect season to indulge, so warm up with some delicious local dishes. Virginia House in Ulverston offers fine dining, beautiful guest rooms and a stellar gin menu! The Head Chef has competed on BBC show Great British Menu, so you’ll certainly be in safe hands!